Saturday, June 21, 2008

Healthy Pizzas


This is a meal that we have discovered that our kids like and actually contains some healthy elements. (Who really knows what healthy is anymore?)

These are pizzas made on whole wheat pitas with sauce, spinach and cheese on top. I've done the spinach two ways, the first time I blended it and put it in the sauce with no complaints at all from the kids. The next time I thought that since spinach is so tender and cooks down to almost nothing, I would just layer it between the sauce and cheese. I had mixed reviews from the kids on the layering technique. Some still tried to pick it off mainly I think because it was so out there. I know they really couldn't taste it. Some ate it just fine. (I also told them it was in honor of cinco de Mayo since it really was May 5th and the red sauce, green spinach, white cheese made the colors of the Mexican flag.)

When we make these for a dinner Glenn and take it a step further. We make ours with veggies and once we did it with soy cheese which was not bad tasting at all but soy does tend to have unpleasant after effects with both of us. Then we tried it with just veggies and a little bit of crumbled feta cheese. Neither of us like a lot of feta but it was pretty good just lightly tossed with the veggies.

Anyway this meal is a keeper for us. I am always looking for healthy meals that are kid friendly so hopefully I can add more to my repertoire.

2 comments:

Joey Shepherd said...

I'm really craving pizza right now. mmmmm

RP3 said...

You know me -- I'm sticking with Pier 49!