Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Flashback to June 10 2006

I'm adding this post just for some background into my cycling debut. Next week or so I'll be posting about my first Century so this will help set the stage.
In 2006 I first got into cycling and in June I completed a 60 mile ride as part of the American Diabetes Association "Tour de Cure". Dylan also completed the 25 mile route as part of his cycling merit badge. Since it was a fundraiser we hit up friends and family for donations. The following was an e-mail I sent out after our ride just to thank everyone and let them know how it went.



Well first of all WE DID IT! We survived, with no major mishaps or setbacks. Here is quick overview of our ride. Just Glenn, Dylan, Garrett and I went up. We stayed in Ogden in the same hotel as the USAF Thunderbirds. That was kind of cool for the boys. We didn't get much sleep so I was a little worried. We checked in at Box Elder High School and 6:30 and got our numbers. We got our bikes and stuff ready and then waited around for pictures. We were part of the Gold's Gym team and Greg Lemond was riding with us. He was the first American to win the Tour de France and went on to win it 3 times. He was right in front of us in the group picture. Close enough that I could have reached over and goosed him. There were about 200 people on the Gold's team and about 500 overall riders. The 60 and 100 milers left first. Dylan did the 25 mile route so we did not ride together. The reports that I got on his ride was that there weren't many riders and that it was so easy he could have done it in his sleep. (Although I noticed that he was moving slowly later in the day.) He also reports that he was one of the first ones in. Glenn and Garrett were out on the trail to see me so they missed Dylan finishing. Garrett was the designated cameraman and he was awesome. You will see from the pictures that he was very thorough. As for the ride itself, I was very pleased and surprised. I was able to do it all pretty well. I kept looking at my odometer and thinking "I've gone 20 miles, 40 miles, 50 miles etc." There were hills on the last 15 miles of my route but still I was ok. I just kept plugging along and pretty soon I was done. For me it was a great feeling of accomplishment. I did something totally new and kind of big, and I had doubts and worries along the way but I did it! We will definitely do more rides and probably extend our group of riders. (We'll try not to make them all fundraisers!) Glenn and Garrett have already commited to do the next one. So anyway Thank You all so much for your support. It was very gratifying to think of all the people we had pulling for us. And thanks for all the donations, we both went over our goals. Oh I forgot to mention that at the end they brought up all the young riders and gave them each a new helmet so Dylan was just thrilled.
I'll try to explain the pictures as I remember them.

*Putting our numbers on.
*Our Support Staff (Garrett was making a funny face but I thought he was done when I clicked the picture. I guess not.)
*Waiting for pictures.
*With the Gold's Gym team. We are in the 2nd row from the front on the left side. You can tell us by our helmets. Mine is blue and Dylan's red/white/blue. Greg Lemond is sitting to the right of us in the front row with a white helmet, no sunglasses.
*With our bikes.
*Moving out with the group.
*Dylan on his route.
*At the 20 mile rest area.
*Out on the route, with the cows and watching for roadkill.
*Finishing!

No comments: