
Note: The following story may contain graphic images not suitable for all audiences.
Ok now that I got that out of the way, I'll tell you about Abby's tonsillectomy. Last year Abby had strep throat 4 times! After the 2nd time the Dr. wanted her to take the round of antibiotics, then wait 2 weeks then take a swab for an overnight culture to see if see was her own carrier. We took the antibiotics, waited almost two weeks then had strep again. The same thing happened again after the 3rd time where the strep would be back before we had a chance to swab her. The doc still wanted to do the culture but I took matters into my own hands and went straight to the ear, nose and throat Dr. instead. She (Dr. Heras) took one look and said, "ok we're gonna take the tonsils and the adenoids...". She didn't even hesitate. Her tonsils were so big and dense that she said the antibiotics really can't get into the depths of the tonsils and wipe out the strep completely. When Abby would get strep her tonsils would get so big that they would intertwine and she could hardly breathe. I always felt so bad for the her.
So we scheduled surgery but because she had already missed so much school we waited til summer to do the deed. That day was Monday July 21st.
We were told to be at the hospital at 8:15 am which was a great time. Not too early but also not too late for Abby because she had to be fasting. Abby was nothing but excited about getting these things out, she would tell everyone that she was getting her tonsils out in July, but in the hospital she was finally a little bit nervous. (I was nervous too but I didn't tell her that.) When it was our turn she changed into some cute little pajamas, no hospital robe for the kids I guess, and they brought her a little package that a youth group had made which had a notepad, some markers and a little stuffed dog. That was nice and helped her nerves. The Dr. and the anesthesiologist talked to her and then they took her away.

Glenn and I went to wait in the recovery room. It was two patients per room so there was a little boy behind the curtain who had had his done earlier. I was surprised to hear him up and talking just fine. I kind of thought it would hurt to talk.
I think only 20 minutes or so passed before Dr. Heras came in to tell us how it went. As she walked in the room she said "Those things were huge!" Then she started into the medical jargon and I was lost after that. From what I could gather one of the tonsils was fused to somewhere, and she had to do a different technique on that one. It sounded like it was leaving the top on the tonsils rather that getting the whole thing. She said that some Doctors do them that way anyway so it wasn't a big deal but that it might look bumpier than the other side. Also she did not end up taking the adenoids, again because of...(lots of medical jargon here) something to do with the way her palette came together...something about a clef... and the bottom line was that they weren't big or giving her trouble so she left them in. (What the heck is an adenoid anyway?)
I asked the Dr. if there were any pictures because they do that now days in surgery but she said no. She did mention that the tonsils were on her chart so we could probably see them if we wanted.
After the Dr. left Glenn said that we should get a picture of the tonsils and send it to Ben because while he was here he would constantly ask Abby if she was going to save them in a jar after they were out. She would say no but he would tease her about it over and over. I of course thought sending him a picture would be great so I went to the desk just across the hall from our room and asked the lady about getting them. She had to call back to the surgery room so she picked up the phone and said "Abby Taylor's mom wants a picture of her tonsils...." They weren't there so she made another call and again said "Abby Taylor's mom wants a picture of her tonsils..." She got off the phone and told me they were going to see if they could find them so I went back into the room with Glenn. When I sat down my phone beeped and I had a text message that said "Abby Taylor's mom is weird!" It was from Glenn and he totally cracked me up! I got him back though because I then left the room to call my sister and the tonsils showed up! Guess who got to take the picture? He was totally grossed out but was a good sport and took the picture for me. I was disappointed that I missed seeing them. He didn't get the greatest picture but I have to let him off the hook on this one.
Here they are:

Abby arrived soon after for her recovery. She slept a little, ate a Popsicle slushy, and complained about a bad smell that she thought was coming from the humidifier. She was up and talking too and did really really well through it all. I was so proud of her and relieved to have this much over. She was a little impatient to come home but right before our time was up she got an upset stomach, I think from the codeine. We weathered it through and she did not throw up. Then they let us go.

We are now three days removed and she has not had any trouble at all. I can't believe how good she is doing, knock on wood. We've been told that 3-5 days in she'll have a bad sore throat day because of the scabbing process but so far so good.
I am so relieved to have this over and to have Abby not go through anything like what she went through last year. It was not fun and I'm hoping she'll be healthy and happy for a long time to come.
1 comment:
you were not kidding i almost spewed!!!!!
Post a Comment