Sunday, July 6, 2008

The 4th of July





























Glenn and Dylan had 2 baseball games on the 4th of July and the younger kids voted against going. They did not want to drive to Salt Lake and sit through 5 hours of baseball and then drive home. Instead they wanted to invite Grandma and Grandpa and Lynn and Debbie and have our own little party, so that's what we did. Luckily both families were able to come.
We had hamburger wraps instead of traditional grilled hamburgers. I brown and season the hamburger in a pan then we eat it in a tortilla wrap (whole wheat or multi-grain) with the normal hamburger toppings inside. It's pretty good and hopefully a little more on the healthy side. I made a big potato salad too but forgot to serve it. I think I'm getting old. Mom brought chips, beans and a relish tray, and Deb brought jello so we had plenty to eat. Mmmmm.
We did some daytime fireworks and played outside for a little while then came in for dessert.
William had a brownie and two scoops of ice cream on his plate. Grandpa was helping him clean his plate by getting every last drop with the spoon. When William asked if it was clean Grandpa said "yes, unless you want to pick it up and lick it". So he did! Grandpa had a good laugh at that. Then as soon as he finished licking his plate he put it down and saw the root beer at the end of the table and said, "Hey, get that over here." (Motioning with his hand in the "come here" fashion.)
At this point all elements of healthiness were out the window and it was a regular free for all. I won't mention how much dessert I ate.
Grandma and Grandpa left after dessert so they wouldn't have to drive in the dark. Abby and Garrett were our designated "lighters" this year so they started the show. Glenn and Dylan arrived in time to see some of it and to help with the sparklers. I asked Glenn if he wanted to save anything for the 24th and he said no so we burned through everything as fast as we could.
Most of the pictures are self explanatory except the one with William looking up at the sky. That one was cool because our neighbor was doing a big illegal firework and I couldn't see William in the camera at all I just pointed it and clicked. The flash filled in the rest and I couldn't believe what a great picture it was. Right after that a police car pulled up next door and the show was over. Luckily they got away with a warning.

No comments: