
We had a great trip to New York City last week. It was a business/birthday trip and I was a little skeptical about the combination. I was worried that it would mainly be a business trip but would be counted as birthday and I would hear "but I took you to New York"... It turns out there was no need to worry because we had a fabulous time and Glenn got full birthday credit for this one. We arrived on Wednesday afternoon and planned to see if we could catch a broadway show that night. We thought being Wednesday we could probably see any show except for Wicked since it's the hottest show around right now. When we got to the hotel and started to get our bearings we learned that Wicked was basically across the street from us and that there were tickets available. We were with our friends the Bellistons who had already seen it but they were game to go again so we walked across the street to see about getting tickets. We were at the box office ready to fork over big money when some guy said "please clear the lobby we will be drawing for the lottery in 4 minutes." We didn't know what that meant so we went over to him and he said put your names in and we'll be drawing for 2 front row tickets at 26.00 dollars each. So we all put our names in and waited for the lottery. I was more worried about getting it over with so we could jump back over to the box office before the crowd but we didn't know that they would be drawing 14 names out. Sure enough Tammie's name was called and we got 2 front row tickets. Since they had already seen the show and because it was my birthday they gave them to us. We purchased 2 more tickets and we were set. While I waited with Tammie to get her tickets we were talking to a lady from Salt Lake who asked us if we had seen many shows yet and we said we just flew in an hour ago! Later another lady asked us how many times we had tried for the lottery and again we said we just got there that day. It was pretty funny. I didn't know much about the show but I absolutely loved it! (I must confess that I don't think of myself as a "Musical" type of person but in truth I am, and it's ok.) The front row experience was great although we were on the side and sometimes had the performers in the way of the overall view. At the very end of the play one of the monkeys was sitting right by us and his tail flopped over the stage so I reached out and touched it. Glenn kind of rolled his eyes at me but he later admitted that when the lights went out he touched it too! It was so fun and a very memorable birthday.
Here are some pictures.
Here's Tammie getting the lottery tickets. Doesn't this picture look like she's buying tickets from a scalper? She's got the cash out and everything.

OK so they don't say "Front Row" but that's exactly where they are.

The Wicked sign. BTW it was Wicked Cold in New York City. (Haha play on words humor.)

Touching the stage from my seat and look my arm is barely extended. Yes we saw a lot of spit from those seats!

The final surprise. I bought a shirt on the way out only to find out later that Glenn had bought me one during the intermission. What a guy!
4 comments:
YEAH!! I love the whole story.
Glad you had so much fun ;)
P.S. who bought which shirt?
Me purple Glenn grey. Now that I've been listening to the soundtrack I love the Defying Gravity song so his was a great choice.
I'm so glad you had such a great time!! I LOVE Wicked. I want " For Good" played at my funeral. When I went I sat on the 4th row and I loved seeing the costumes so close. The dragon above was a little disconcerting, though! Tammie said it all went so smoothly...I'm glad you had a good birthday!
I'm so jealous!! I want to see wicked!! Wicked and New York in one trip? I'm really jealous!!
Post a Comment